Do You have Loose, Missing or Painful Teeth?
Eat, Feel and Live Better with Dental Implants
Imagine losing any other part of your body and being able to have it replaced so beautifully and comfortably that no one could tell anything had changed … all the while allowing you full and confident use of the restored area. The recent advancements in dental implant design and placement can do just that for you. These recent implant dentistry advancements based on decades of use are truly a breakthrough for your comfort, your health and your smile.
Dental implants provide a wonderful option to replace a single tooth, several teeth or even all of your teeth. The dental implant acts as a remarkably strong replacement for your missing root structure and allows a natural looking artificial tooth to be attached to it. Replacing missing teeth can dramatically improve your smile, the shape of your face and even the length and quality of your life. A dental implant offers comfort and stability, allowing you to smile, speak and eat with confidence. Implant dentistry allows Dr Gray to provide you with a tooth that is natural in appearance and function and offers the same biting force as your original teeth.
Benefits of Implant Dentistry
Implant dentistry is an increasingly popular choice for our San Diego dental patients because of the many benefits they offer. Here are some of them:
- Successful – The overall success rate for dental implants is around 95% with decades of clinical research. Dental implants are often the best treatment option for replacing missing teeth and one of the most successful dental procedures.
- Durable and natural – Because the implant is anchored in the bone, dental implants are strong, durable and natural in appearance. A dental implant offers the same biting force as a natural tooth. Smile, speak and eat with confidence.
- Long-lasting – Unlike dentures and bridges that may require replacement, dental implants can last a life time (with proper dental hygiene).
- Easily maintained – Dental implants are easily maintained and can be brushed and flossed like natural teeth. Anchored dentures or bridges are easily removed and replaced after cleaning. Dental implants also do not get cavities like your natural teeth.
- Enjoy the foods you love – Because dental implants are firmly secured in your bone, they allow you to eat nearly anything you enjoy. If you have an upper denture, you often lose some of the flavor and enjoyment of food due to having the roof of your mouth covered. Dental implants can not only increase your ability to chew by firmly anchoring the denture, in most cases it totally eliminates the need to cover the roof of your mouth. This allows you to fully taste and enjoy the foods you love and have your denture feel more like your natural teeth.
- Saves healthy teeth – Healthy adjacent teeth aren’t harmed or affected since dental implants don’t rely on neighboring teeth for support. A dental implant can replace a single tooth without needing the support of the teeth on either side of the missing space. By not preparing the adjacent teeth for crowns this increases the life span of those teeth and reduces the risk of root canals and other stress-related problems.
- Anchor denture or bridge – Dental implants can provide support for a denture, making it more comfortable and secure. If you currently have a denture, adding dental implants can increase your ability to chew by 2-3 times and give you the confidence of your natural teeth again. They can also support a dental bridge and eliminate the need for a removable partial denture.
How Dental Implants Work
The simplest analogy I can use to explain how dental implants work is to relate them to how teeth work. A tooth is held in the bone like a fence post in the ground. The part of the tooth you see is really only about 1/3 of it’s total length. The rest is the root portion that is below the gums. This root portion is the part that provides the strength and support for chewing and stability. The longer the root and the more bone surrounding the root, the stronger the tooth.
A dental implant is really a substitute for the root potion of the tooth. A replica of the size and shape of your original root is selected by Dr Gray based on many factors. The dental implants are precisely manufactured out of the highly biocompatible and extremely durable titanium metal. The dental implants are carefully secured into place and allowed to integrate or connect to the bone. Once the connection is solid, which usually only takes about 12 weeks, a replacement tooth can be attached and made to perfectly replicate your missing natural tooth. The mini implants and some types of regular sized dental implants can be almost immediately loaded with a tooth, but with most implant dentistry it is generally best to wait the short period of time to be assured a solid connection.
Success with Implant Dentistry
Dental implants are among the most successful dental procedures performed.
While there is no guarantee that a dental implant procedure will be successful, recent studies have shown the success rates to be near 95%. Dental implants have been used for decades and when properly placed and cared for (brushing flossing, regular dental exams) they can last a lifetime.
To learn more about how dental implants can improve your smile and your self-confidence, call our San Diego, CA implant dentistry office in La Mesa today or fill out the simple form on this page and we will contact you if you are in the are in the area, including El Cajon. For a full list of all dental procedures offered by Dr. Gray, please visit our main San Diego dentist website today!